We’ll get there….sometime


Day 1: La Ceiba, Honduras


We finally got our Taca boarding pass at around 2:30 in the morning after an uncomfortable couple of hours in the back end of the airport. From Miami we flew to Managua, Nicaragua but luckily did not have to get off the plane. We were both really tired by this point so we were out as soon as the tires were off the ground, which we both missed the snack on the flight (some fruit and yogurt).


When Lin woke up, the lady next to her (who apparently did not speak any English) noticed Lin looking longingly at the remnants of her snack and returned a rather pitiable glance. We touched down in El Salvador about 8:30am. As we flew over we noticed almost all the surrounding land near the airport was palm fields. It looked like the most organized jungle that ever existed. The El Salvador airport was wonderfully organized, clean, efficient, and had lots of upscale shops. We would have liked to have spent some time in the city but there was no time as we were trying to get to Roatan before the high season. Maybe later…


While the El Salvador airport looked very nice, San Pedro Sula was another story. There were missing ceiling tiles, wires hanging from holes in the ceiling, and horribly inefficient and careless staff. Due to strikes and foul weather, our flight was delayed for nearly 4 hours. During this whole time, we were literally trapped inside the very (very) small secure area as we awaited rescue! It finally came in the way of a small twin turbo prop airplane. It was a very rough ride on the way to La Ceiba but we did make it alive (and with most pieces). One cool thing was that almost all the Dole pineapples are grown right outside La Ceiba. So, for most of the flight we were looking down at row after row of pineapple fields.


When we finally got to the very small airport, we literally walked through 2 doors and were out in the street on our own. We wandered past some heavily armed military guards and up onto the side of a main highway. Flagging down a taxi was pretty easy since every 3 cars or so was a taxi. We talked to a guy on the plane and decided to stay at the Banana Republic Guest house (285 Lps, or 15US for a private room en suite). The first thing we noticed about La Ceiba was all the trash and junk strewn all through the streets and what sidewalks there were. Like most big cities, La Ceiba was busy, dirty, had awful traffic coming from every direction with no pattern, and everyone was in pretty close quarters. We made it to the guest house unscathed via an intense taxi ride (about 38 Lps, or 2US).


The staff at the guest house we extremely friendly but the rooms were kinda, well, what you might expect for 15US/night. We only had to share the room with some very small ants but we did have hot water!


After check-in we headed out to find food after nearly 20 hours of not eating. We found a nice little International Buffet that fed us huge amounts of food (conch, fish, rice, steamed veggies, & fried plantains) for about 67 Lps per person, or about $3.50US. We wondered through the streets markets near the city square and through the back streets of the neighborhood around our guest house and decided we wanted to spend our first few days some place a bit more quiet and less chaotic. So we decided to head off to Roatan island on the first ferry the next morning.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Reddit
  • FriendFeed
  • email
  • Twitthis

Did you enjoy this post? Why not donate a few bucks? We promise to send a post card!

Add a comment